Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Beauty of a New Culture

Many times I am quick to complain about things in this culture that I live in.  I know that is part of the culture shock adjustment and realizing differences.  However, today, I wanted to focus a minute on the beauty of this culture that I have made my home in.  The people here have reminded me of the simplicity of life.  This week alone, I have had a single mother who makes very little, cook me dinner and deliver it to my house.  I had a gas station attendant who accidently forgot to return my debit card guard it safely and get it back to me.  I have watched teachers willingly give up their extra time to offer tutoring to struggling students.  I have been reminded that life happens around mealtime and deep conversations and hugs are more important sometimes that writing the policies and posting rules.  I have been reminded of a selfless generosity that far surpasses my own understanding. I have been reminded of a hospitality that doesn't begin to look like Martha Stewart, but has a depthness to it that I cherish and long for.

I am reminded of a work ethic as I look at the 40 year old lady who has the creases in her face of a 70 year old due to the hard labor of surviving.

I am reminded that some people are so desperate for something to drink or eat that they will stand at the stop lights in the city doing tricks

I am reminded of their creativity as I watch them practice dances and put together traditional programs and create bulletin boards from handmade items and not just buy things from a store.

I am in awe of a beautiful culture that I get to embrace and learn from and for living in this country I get to call "home".

No comments:

Post a Comment